Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Donna (first post of zee year =O)

At my first preschool there as this girl.She was older than all of us,possibly around the age of thirteen or so(maybe even older).I was 3 at the time and she was really,really tall and much bigger in size next to me so yes,I do think she was around that age.Her name was Donna and she went to school with us.She had fair skin,dark, boy-short hair,spoke with a lisp and was constantly smiling.Donna was mentally challenged,something I did not understand at that age,of course but I knew she was different.Nevertheless,I befriended this girl.She was like my big sister in a way.We played a lot. I remember Donna asking me to tie her shoe lace for her and not wanting to disappoint her (as well as prove to my little self that I was indeed capable of doing such a task),I attempted to tie her lacing.My valiant attempt resulted in me tangling my fingers and the lacing into a knot instead of a neat bow while Donna patiently stood there waiting for me to finish.Eventually, a teacher saw me struggling and assisted.I also remember our school (which was a small,private institution) having this trip to the zoo and the small body of 2-5year olds (and Donna) being divided into several groups to visit at separate intervals.When Donna's group returned, the teacher said she fell and bruised her knee and she was still crying.I tried comforting her,I think,though I can't recall what I said or did to do so.

She was extremely sensitive and I was unable to understand why as she would cry for things that I would simply ignore and move on from.My parents tried explaining to me once that Donna was a special girl and I had a bit more understanding after that.I believe she even taught me how to buckle my jumper once(I always had trouble with that crap and forever wore jumpers,life is hard when you're 3)My best friend in that preschool was a long haired indian boy named Jonathon who dressed in traditional indian kurtas a lot of the time and wore his mane pulled back in a ponytail.He too,spoke to Donna just as I did.Oh!I had another best friend too,some little blond girl but I cannot remember her name...like Stephanie or something?Yea,she played with Johnny and I a lot as well.But back to Donna.(sorry,I began to succumb to nostalgia)

There was some Christmas party for kids one year,I was about five then and it was held in a park not too far from where I lived.I was standing up on a bench facing this two story house.There was this girl on the balcony with short hair and she just kinda sat there.I stuck my tongue out at her,not in a mocking way at all.I just did a lot of monkey faces at that age.So I stuck my tongue out at her and she started to cry :( Then I realized I knew her,sigh.It was Donna!I waved upon realizing this and she wiped her tears and stared at me.She pointed me out to someone,a relative I'm assuming ,and out of embarrassment I turned around...and never saw her again.

Why write about Donna tonight?I dunno,she sort of just happened to cross my mind and I felt obligated to share my experience of knowing this beautiful person.Though it was soooo long ago since we knew each other,I never completely forgot about her,even if I can't remember all of our adventures.I wonder where she is today and if she's doing fine.Looking back,this girl was really inspiring.She was brave and sweet and oh so helpful.What would I have done in that school without Donna?She's probably in her late twenties now,maybe she's even 30.I think I'm going to ask around about her.

3 comments:

. said...

Donna, she went to my school, high school afterwards. She stopped after CXC I think. She's really a computer person now :) I think she def found her thing.

Cécesque said...

O_O Omg,for real?You sure it's the same person?!Then again Trini is so small,there's a possibility.If it's really her,that's so great man!<3 I asked my mom about her and she didn't know about her whereabouts either.Sigh

. said...

Hmmm, well you say the girl in your thing here has fair skin, the Donna I knew was a dark indian girl :( but then, meh who knows? Well I knew a Donna as well who was mentally challenged. High school was no treat, girls are assholes, and some were really shitty to her -_- sigh ...